Free and Quick Proofreading

Tuesday, October 07, 2008

7 Tips For Finding Time To Write Every Day

by Connie Ragen Green

Many people would like to write articles but they believe they just do not have enough time. If you work at a full time job, commute to and from this job five days a week, and have a family to care for you may be finding it almost impossible to make any time for writing. I was experiencing this until I figured out these 7 tips for finding time to write every day.

  1. Carry a letter size spiral notebook with you at all times. I have two of them – one that I keep in my car and the other that I keep with me at all times. I use the ones that have a straight edge when I tear the paper out instead of having little pieces of paper all over. I also use the college rule lines instead of narrow rule so that I have lots of space to add words or sentences.
  2. When you have an idea, write it down immediately. If I am driving I pull the car over as soon as it is safe to do so. That way you won’t ever forget something that could turn into a good article later. I write down as much as I can so that I can go back later and write more details.
  3. Make a schedule for when you are going to write. For a time I was leaving my house at 5:30 every morning to drive almost an hour to work. I started leaving at 5:15 instead and was able to beat most of the traffic. That way I would arrive early to my job. Instead of going inside early I would park my car down the street and take out my notebook. I wrote for thirty minutes each morning. When I went inside to my job I felt like I had already accomplished something that was important to me. You may be able to write for a period of time early in the morning at your house. Maybe writing later in the evening works best for you. Whenever the time is, make it part of your schedule and set goals for yourself. I like to write one article every day, five days a week. In the beginning you may set a goal of writing one article each week. Break it down into parts. Perhaps you will make notes about what you will write on the first day, write two paragraphs the next day, and so on, until your article is finished.
  4. Wait until your article is finished before you give it a title. When you are first writing your articles will tend to get off track. By waiting until the end to give it a title you won’t be constantly working to get back to your original article idea. If your article ends up a little different from what you originally envisioned it is alright. Finishing the article is the most important thing to focus on in the beginning.
  5. Remember that writing becomes faster and easier as time goes on. If you set goals for yourself, stick to them, write every day, and let the writing just flow you will be able to write an article more easily than you ever imagined. The quality of your writing will also improve over time.
  6. Read other articles in the niche area that you have chosen for yourself. By reading other, related writings you will spark ideas that you will want to write about. There may be areas within your niche that you had not even thought about writing about in your articles.
  7. Celebrate your accomplishments! Tell your friends and family what you are writing about, when you finish an article, when you submit an article and when you have an article accepted. They will come to think of you as an author and feel like you have included them in the process.
About 85% of those who write articles never write more than 10 of them. Be part of the 15% who have disciplined themselves to take the time to write each day. After you get going for a few weeks and see what can be accomplished you will be happy that you made the time.

Connie Ragen Green is a writer and speaker living in southern California. Visit her athttp://www.SmallBusinessUnMarketing.com

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...